Friday, April 02, 2004

Everything and Nothing

Rej asked me yesterday about the infinity concept and I said I was beginning to grasp it. I articulated it to myself quite well in the shower this morning, however my new soap crayons that my girlfriend bought me in California only function on dry walls and the shower had already begun so I of course forgot what I had said when I sat down after the shower to write it out.

Essentially I think what I am beginning to see is that everything and nothing are the same. To understand infinity is to understand the concept of nothing and vice versa. When I die I will truly become nothing as far as I will be aware. That is the scary difficult one for me to be grasping as I loose my father. It is the one I think you grasped early on with the loss of yours.
I still picture that infinite line in space from math class when they first introduced the concept to us. A white line that fades off into the distance of space the same way train tracks fade away. But that doesn’t really represent infinity because I can’t see the whole line at one time. I think for that it needs to be removed from the realm of the visual, don’t try to picture the line as an entity but rather as a concept. Just say to yourself, “I know this line never ends” without picturing the line but in stead knowing the line.
However, I think basically it is easier to grasp the nothing concept especially if the theorists are right and the universe is 5 billion years old and all the stars will burn out in another 5 billion and everything will go black and end. Numbers like that, although huge are finite. And with computers and gigabytes and terabytes the concept of large numbers like that has become far easier to grasp. So if ten billion years is all the universe gets after the big bang and then it all goes dark and cold (shit)
I was gonna say then there is nothing, which is what the scientists would say...but it’s not nothing, it’s what was there before, just frozen and dark but the matter, the mass is still there.

It really was perfect this morning...like 3 or 4 sentences that said it exactly.
All is nothing and vice versa.

Although the think I read like 50 times that Socrates said at his trial is that he would not presume to know what happens when we die. We all have our beliefs...Socrates was a firm believer in the, “I don’t know.”

Ok...I’ll try this again another time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home