Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Thoughts From a Power Outage

Well….this is a very strange blog. It has the oddest of beginnings and who knows where it shal go. Ultimately it has a time limit but it could end at any moment.
I am currently blogging by candle light.
The power on my street went out a little while ago so rather than sit here in the dark I lit some candles and fired up the laptop. It says I have 3 hours and 18 minutes of battery life remaining. Unfortunately I must now waste some of that while I go downstairs to check on the loud crash I just heard…was probably a cat and some pottery.
Wow, that couldn’t have worked out better for the cat…a lot of noise and a rather large piece of glass falling several feet onto a countertop crowded with pottery and glassware and other dirty dishware that happened to land on a plastic sandwich box full of used coffee grounds which apparently cushioned the fall so nothing got broken at all and the only things that got knocked around in the whole deal were made of plastic or metal and almost everything was empty so a couple of paper towels full of coffee from the kitchen floor and it was all over. Gave the cat a little love because he only does bad things to get attention and I have been on the computer and ignoring him all day.

So the power went out. I go online with my laptop to get the phone number for the electric company. I call on my cell phone because all of the phones in the house are cordless and none of them work when the power is out. Good thing R called earlier today and made me realize the cell was dead so it was on the charger for a couple of hours. So I call, I push the buttons and they have the wrong address listed. So I have to go find a flashlight to find an old bill (no easy task since my new filing system is to throw bills out when I pay them that way if I find a bill in the house I know I have to pay it still) and call again (By this time I have the key sequence memorized to get me to where I can put in the account number) put in the appropriate numbers and the machine tells me my address…Woo Hoo Success! So I press 1 for yes and they say my outage has been reported. They then ask if I want a phone call when the power is restored.
Me, “Hello?”
Peco, “This is Peco, your power is back on.”
Me, “Uh…yeah…hang on lemmie turn down the stereo.”

Me, “Hello?”
Peco, “This is Peco, your power is back on.”
Me, “Um…yeah, the lights are on and the stereo was just blaring.”
Peco, “Yes sir. Just wanted to let you know you can turn the lights and the stereo back on now sir.”

Ok…so it wasn’t as funny as I thought it should have been.
And the clock radio just came back on next to me. I guess it’s over.
I’ll give it a few minutes to see if it holds…it flickered a few times on the way out.
Definitely gotta get the laptop back on charge in case it happens again later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home